Re: Delta's engine selections

Date:         16 Apr 97 01:55:56
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

matt weber <matt@firstsol.com> wrote:

>I don't think it is any secret that a lot of airlines got very ticked off at
>PW's attitude in the mid 1980's. I know JAL was very public about it, and that
>is why JAL's 747-400's have CF6's. JAL also got burned on the D10-40's, which
>NW has. They just never provided the high/hot performance JAL wanted, and PW
>promised.

OTOH, JAL did go back to the PW4000 for the MD11 and B777.

>If you talk to mechanics, given the choice between working on a GE
>or a PW engine, all the ones I talk to pick the GE every time. In terms of
>fuel economy, according to the specific fuel consumption figures published in
>Aviation Week and Space Technolgies 1997 Source Book, GE is the leader in both
>medium (CFM56) and large (CF6) categories.  I have not seen published figures
>for any of the current RR, or PW or GE-90 series engines however.

For aircraft that are still in production:

The CF6 leads in the A300/310, MD11, B747-400, and B767 markets.

The PW4000 leads in the A330 and the B777 markets.

The RB211 leads in the B757 market.

The CFM56 leads in the A319/320/321 market, and of course, it owns the
B737 and the A340 markets.  Nevertheless, it will still be a while
before it can catch up with the JT8D in terms of total installed engines.

The IAE's V2500 is not in a good shape.  Delta's retirment of its MD90 fleet
is not helping IAE at all.