Re: 737-400/800 fuselage lengths

Date:         15 Apr 97 12:56:42
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Can someone state categorically whether or not the 737-400
>is the same fuselage length as the -800?

Obviously Boeing can.  Look on http://www.boeing.com where you'll find
that "the 737-800 is a stretched version of the current 737-400."  The
overall length is listed as 129'6" (39.5 m), versus 119'7" (36.4 m)
for the 737-400.

>I have been told by someone else that Boeing plans
>say that the two fuselages are the same.

They were wrong.

>Relatedly, whether or not the fuselage is the same,
>does the new faster wing on the -800  need a new position
>on the airframe?

Comparing photographs of the 737-700 to the 737-300 (same fuselage
length), each has eleven windows after the forward doors, a blank
in-line with the engine's fan, then five more windows and then the
overwing exit.  A crude measure, I'll admit, but it suggests that
the wings are at least very close to the same position relative to
the fuselage, and similarly the engines.

The 737-800 might have its wing relatively further back than the
737-400, not because of the wing but to maintain the CG and perhaps
to minimize tail strikes.  (The landing gear is also taller on the
new generation 737s.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com