Re: Can an Airbus 320/321/330/340 perform a controlled glide?

Date:         15 Apr 97 12:56:42
From:         gsjames@ix.netcom.com (Gary S. James )

>In the event of loss of all 5 computers in the Electrical Flight
>Control System (EFCS) the crew can control pitch by moving the
>Trimmable Horizontal Stabiliser (THS) using the pitch trim
>wheels, and yaw (and roll to some extent) by operating the rudder
>via the pedals.

I fly A-320's for a major US airline and as part of our training we
area required to "fly" the airplane using these backup modes.  I assure
you, that from a practical point of view the airplane is virtually
uncontrollable in this mode and would be incapable of making anything
remotely resembling a controlled landing.

Additionally, there has been one instance where all flight computers
were turned off momentarily in flight.  Panic ensued... and the
aircraft nearly went out of control.

--
Curved Air Technologies                 GSJames@ix.netcom.com
Gary S. James                           70264.2530@CompuServe.com