Re: Overheard on channel 9 ...

Date:         15 Apr 97 12:56:41
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1997.926@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Andrew Goldfinger <Andy.Goldfinger@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

<snip about pilot refusing FL410 because of light chop>

>Could someone explain what was going on here?  Is FL 410 so close to the
>service ceiling that a little chop (and presumably some gusts from the
>rear) are problematic?

Probably not.  The (probable) main concern of the unknown airliner pilot was
that the light chop would be uncomfortable for the passengers, and would
complicate things like passenger service, etc. Also, pilots don't necessarily
like to fly in turbulence (even light turbulence) any more than the
passengers.

Finally, there's always the possibility that you'll encounter a 3-sigma type
bump which could actually be dangerous.

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.