Re: Relative Engine Power

Date:         15 Apr 97 03:22:42
From:         tjarko@dutlbcz.lr.tudelft.nl (Tjarko de Jong)

On 09 Apr 97 03:09:28 , "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Can anyone give me some approximate guidelines to compare jet engine
>thrust and rotating shaft power.
>We were recently looking over The Queen Mary at Long Beach and in the
>engine room it said that the four turbines produced about 260,000 horse
>power between them. About as much as a modern Jumbo I said but was
>greeted with disbelief.
>
>Was I that far out ?

In general the pwoer is the thrust multiplied with the speed so:

engine about 56000 pound = 250 kN
speed 490 knots= 240 m/s
so power is 240*250,000=60 MWatt per engine
total plane 240MWatt thus 320,000 horse power.
This is however when the plane uses full power in cruise, this should
never happen. during take-off the power is less because the speed is
less. Further is this probally the static maximun thrust and not not
thrus whille flying that one is lower.

Tjarko