Re: Materials testing

Date:         15 Apr 97 03:22:42
From:         jsw@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright)

On 09 Apr 97 03:09:28 , in <airliners.1997.906@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Tom
Keesling wrote:
>Could anyone point me in the direction for finding materials testing
>procedures in the aerospace industry?  I am particulary interested in
>316L stainless, aluminum and titanium.  I am in the orthopedic fixator
>business, and would like to test these devices for cracks.

You could try asking on sci.techniques.testing.nondestructive or
sci.materials. The methods used for detecting cracks are ultrasound or
eddy current testing for buried cracks, or magnetic particle testing
(only for cracks which reach the surface). To use x-ray techniques for
crack detection you have to know the orientation of the crack you want
to detect.
--
John Wright

When your back's against the wall, it's time to turn around and fight
          - John Major MP