Re: Why do MD80's skid ?

Date:         15 Apr 97 03:22:40
From:         gfmoff1@airmail.net (Gary Moffitt)

In article <airliners.1997.907@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Jan-Erik Andelin
<andelin@clinet.fi> wrote:

> What is the technical/operational reason for so many
> (old ?) MD80's doing runway skids these days ?

I am not sure that this is technically correct, however it is well known
amongst maintenance crews that taxi MD80s, the MD80 is notoriously light
on it's small nose gear especially with a light fuel load. Additionally
due to the geometry of the nose gear only one of those small tires is in
contact with the ground in a sharp turn. In fact mechanics can change a
nose gear tire without jacking the nose gear, all they have to due is put
a turn on the tiller. So add together small footprint in contact with the
ground, a light load and slippery runways. There may be other factors, but
these are the ones I am aware of.

--
Gary S. Moffitt