Re: A319 engines thrust changes during climbing

Date:         15 Apr 97 03:22:39
From:         matt@firstsol.com (matt weber)

>On a more general note: what is the situation about this on different
>airlines. I know it is officially (ICAO ?) not permitted, but would be
>interested on experience by others in the newsgroup.

Don't think it is an ICAO issue. The rules vary from country to country, and
airline to airline. For US flag carriers,the FAA just says NO! However in many
circumstances it is permitted at the captain's discretion, although the exact
rules vary from carrier to carrier. I've been in the cockpit for takeoff and
landing for both BA and QF. Emirates allows visits, but not during takeoff and
landings. Also visitors are prohibited when there are less than 2 crew in the
cockpit of most airlines. So on a 747-400, or 767, A310 etc, if someone has to
go out for a few minutes, you get tossed out as well.

I'd add occaisonally the captain doesn't have much discretion. One of the
times I was in the cockpit for takeoff, it was because the captain had been
told in writing in writing I was going to be there, by the chief pilot. I
think he probably could have declined, but probably wouldn't have been a good
career move. It was made quite clear however that the Captain was not very
happy about my being there.