Re: A319 engines thrust changes during climbing

Date:         15 Apr 97 03:22:38
From:         Joe Hanser <joe_hanser@itd.sterling.com>

Jill wrote:

> Jared Nedzel wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like normal noise abatement procedures.  Also, I doubt
> > that the engines were reduced all the way to idle.
>
> My experience is that cutting back on engine power just after take-off
> is fairly normal, especially in cities where residents near airports
> have objected to the noise levels.  Once these areas have been passed,
> the engine power is increased again. I think the arrangements vary
> from city to city.  Also, in bad weather some pilots will ignore this
> and not reduce power.

Another reason can be ATC altitude holds for conflicting traffic.
Deparature control may need to hold a plane at or below an altitude for
a short while to avoid conflicts of airspace. The airliner to maintain
at or below the assigned altitude and avoid overspeeding in the terminal
area will have to throttle back. When the altitude restriction is
removed they throttle back up and continue the climb to cruising
atlitude.

The altitude restriction might even be part of the original IFR release
from clearance delivery. i.e. "Climb and maintain at or below 8,000
feet, expect higher with departure". Until departure clears for them a
higher altitude they will have to maintain at or below 8,000 feet.

Joe hanser