Re: A319 engines thrust changes during climbing

Date:         09 Apr 97 03:09:26
From:         Jill <jill@web.ca>

Jared Nedzel wrote:
> Arman VOSKANIAN wrote:
> > Last week a friend of mine has taken an Airbus A319 flight on Air
> > France Europe (formerly Air Inter) domestic route. Few minutes after
> > take off, the crew slowed down the engines power to idle for few
> > seconds. Then set it to normal climbing thrust level.
> > On the return flight on the same type (A319) there was the same
> > event. This time, before it happened, the captain announced it,
> > saying don't worry, "it is normal".
>
> It sounds like normal noise abatement procedures.  Also, I doubt
> that the engines were reduced all the way to idle.

My experience is that cutting back on engine power just after take-off
is fairly normal, especially in cities where residents near airports
have objected to the noise levels.  Once these areas have been passed,
the engine power is increased again. I think the arrangements vary from
city to city.  Also, in bad weather some pilots will ignore this and not
reduce power.

Jill