Re: parallel runways on airports

Date:         30 Mar 97 03:54:29
From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.825@ohare.Chicago.COM>, shamim@noSpam.com wrote:

>In article <airliners.1997.792@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM> wrote:
>
>>Perhaps it's a special case, but parallel visual approaches are
>>routinely flown on SFO's 28L and 28R, which are only 751 feet apart.
>>There is no staggering -- I've been on flights that landed on 28R at
>>exactly the same time as another flight landed on 28L, or vice versa.

For visual approaches, the required separation is "don't touch"! :-)

>I believe that at SFO the approaches are the LDA/DME 28R and the BAY
>ILS/DME 28L, as well as the 28L and 28R visual approaches. Parallel
>operations are only permitted during daylight hours, with ceiling
>better than 2100' and visibility better than 6 miles. These are not
>independent approaches - the trailing a/c must maintain visual
>separation and ATC will place it at least 3/4 NM behind the lead
>a/c. Passing is not allowed, and "wingtip-to-wingtip flight is not
>permitted". If the lead a/c is a "heavy", additional separation is
>provided.

What you quote is for the the LDA/DME 28R and BAY ILS/DME 28L which I
believe are currently NOTAM'd "Not Authorized".

As for the charted visual approaches, both the TIPP TOE VISUAL 28L and the
QUIET BRIDGE VISUAL 28R require 2100 and 5, not 2100 and 6. Also, while
ATC can not assign "wingtip-to-wingtip" flight or assign overtakes, I see
no restrictions on pilots doing it on their own, except that heavys may
not overtake another aircraft. Also a 1/8 to 1/4 mile stagger is desired,
not 3/4 mile (presumably to make it easier to get departures out) and
there is no daylight only restriction. (Ref. Jepp chart page 13-2A dates
24 Sep 93). The big difference is the LDA/DME 28R and BAY ILS/DME 28L are
instrument approaches that include a visual segment but to which all TERPS
(those are the rules for desigining instrument procedures) requirements
apply. The TIPP TOE and QUIET BRIDGE approaches are visual approaches
flown in visual conditions (actually better than minimum visual conditions
which are 1,000 foot ceiling and 3 miles visibility).

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/