Re: Whatever happened to the Dash 7

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:51
From:         rparpatt@uniserve.com (Thundercraft)
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1997.52@ohare.Chicago.COM>, nynol@ny.ubs.com says...

>Does anyone know what has ever happend to the production run of the
>DeHaviland Dash 7. Was the Dash 8 the replacement aircraft, and if so can
>it mimic the Dash 7's noted short T/O and landing capabilities?

The Dash 8 did indeed act as the replacement.  The Dash 8-300 has the same
seating capacity (or higher if you reduce the cargo hold) as the Dash 7, but is
more economical and is faster.

Except for the harbour runway in downtown London, I don't think that the STOL
capabilities of the -7 were ever really utilized.  The -8 is no slouch though.
 still has fairly decent take-off and landing capabilities.

If memory serves me correct there were only 100 -7's ever produced.

Serial #'s 1 and 2 were prototype and test a/c.  AirBC did operate 3 -7's at
one time including serial # 3.  I beleive that a/c originally operated in Spain
prior to AirBC aquiring it.  It was retired in the late 80's and returned to de
Havilland for examination as it apparently was the highest time -7 in
operation.