Re: Delta Air Lines fleet renewal

Date:         30 Mar 97 03:54:29
From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>

Brad Ward wrote:
>    This is interesting news for SNA (John Wayne).
<snip>
> I'd imagine they'd have 757s on the route,
> but then again, I could see that a 737 might not be out of the question
> either.  If the latter is so, it'll make SNA an even more uninteresting
> place to watch planes
<snip>
> And it'll also
> help solidify this uncomfortable long-haul-small-plane trend with the
> 737.

Uncomfortable? Maybe its just a matter of opinion, but in my view the
BIGGEST offender in the "long-haul-small-plane trend" has got to be the
MD-80/90. I'll gladly take the extra head, hip, shoulder, and luggage
space of a 737 over the extra-narrow MD 80/90 any day... especially
after suffering through numerous DFW-Boston flights (both ways) with the
associated ground time, weather delays, yadda yadda. I recall one time
being sardined on an MD-80 for around 5 hours (a fair amount of that on
the ground). Not that any narrow-body plane would be a vast amount more
pleasant, but I can say I have been canned in 727 and 737's for similar
time periods and not felt anywhere near as miserable as on a -80. Its
not the length, its the WIDTH! (or lack thereof...). Don't even get me
started on my "3 MD-90's and not one is fit to make my flight" story....

I will not miss the MD-90 if I never see another one.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029