Re: Curtains vs. plastic eyelids

Date:         30 Mar 97 03:54:28
From:         petercoe@best.com (Peter Coe)

"Steven G. Thomson" <sthomson@{REMOVE}i1.net> writes:

>Charles Platt <cp@panix.com> wrote in article
><airliners.1997.786@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
>> LesTroyens (lestroyens@aol.com) wrote:
>> > Was the 707 the first airliner to feature plastic eyelids instead of
>> > curtains?
>>
>> I seem to remember the Vickers Viscount turboprop had curtains that you
>> could draw across its big oval windows (much larger windows than on any
>> jet airplane I've been in).

>The Viscount did indeed have awesome cabin windows. The BAe Jetstream 31
>has huge windows for a regional, must be a British tradition!

Whereas Concorde has windows the size of my palm. Let's blame the French
for that.

Actually, to take a slight tangent from the thread, does anyone else wonder
why windows seem to be set so low in the fuselage.  I find that the windows
are generally way below my eyeline, which makes looking out at ground level
a painful experience.  Rasing the window by six inches would improve
external visibility no end, and I don't think it would impair downward
visibility either.  It would certainly stop me getting a stiff neck!
Is there a reason for the current vertical placement of windows?