Re: Gimli 767 nose gear

Date:         30 Mar 97 03:54:27
From:         croydon@vianet.on.ca (Greg Croydon)

>Larry Stone (lstone@interserve.com) wrote:

>     I need a little clarification here.  First, how much lift can the
>wings produce at 10 knots?  Not enough, I suspect, to keep the plane
>from tipping over while perched on one landing gear--unless there was
>quite a headwind....

ago, specially if the ground activated spoilers extended on landing.
Interestingly enough, the nose wheel does not come crashing down
because the wings stop working. Possibly the total effect of the
airframe and the still-flying tail work to produce some lift which
enables the pilot the control the lowering of the nose. I know I can
do it on the DC9-32 down to about 40 KIAS.

Cheers,