Re: Boeing 747-400

Date:         30 Mar 97 03:54:27
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Lee Tze Yen  <bunnylee@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
>Does anyone know the latest figures for the airline having the largest fleet
>of 747SP, 747-100, 747-200, 747-300 and 747-400???? (inclusive of
>all-passenger version and Combi, but exclusive of Freighter models)

Japan Airlines has the largest B747 fleet with around 90 planes including
some freighters.  British Airways is number two with some 60 planes.

A few years ago, United had the largest 747SP fleet.  I don't know which
airline currently has the largest 747SP fleet.  A quick guess is
Taiwan's China Airlines (and its subsidiary, Mandarin) with four.

With most airlines having their -100s retired, I believe British
Airways currently has the largest -100 fleet with a total of 15
planes.  All Nippon has a large fleet of 747SR (17?).

For the -200, I believe Japan AL has the largest fleet (around 30?), but
that also include some freighters.

For the -300, it's Japan AL with 16.

For the -400, it's Singapore Airlines with 36 passenger -400s in service
plus one leased to China Airlines.  Singapore also has the largest
-400F fleet with 5 in the fleet with the sixth one coming on-line soon.
British Airways and Japan Airlines both have over 30 -400s in their
fleet, too.

All the above numbers, other than the numbers on the -400, are either
old or from the top of my head.  Thus, corrections are welcome.