Re: BA 146

Date:         25 Mar 97 03:38:10
From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>

McLELLAN Alexander, DED/1 wrote:

> RD Rick wrote:
> >     First it was a tank engine;
> >     Upgraded to a helicopter engine;
> >     Upgraded to fanjet in BAe-146;
> >     By Lycoming, Textron-Lycoming, Allied-Signal.
>
> The Olympus GT has been used in ships and for power generation ashore, as
> well as in Concorde. The Tyne GT has also been used in ships - not sure
> about a/c, but I'm sure someone out there will tell me...

Quite a large number of turbine engines have cores/derivatives that are
used for ships, power generation, etc. The US Navy has many destroyers
(starting with the Spruance class, I believe) and cruisers (Aegis and
others), as well as now-decomissioned Frigates (Oliver Hazard Perry
class) that are powered by a GE turbine, the LM2500, that is  basically
a TF-39 core. The Cruisers and Destroyers use 4 turbines, the Frigates
use 2. Each LM2500 has a sustained rating of 20,000 shaft HP.

US Coast Guard High Endurance Cutters have a CODOG (Combination Diesel
or Gas Turbine) powerplant. In this scheme, two 3600HP Fairbanks-Morse
diesels are used for low speed, and 2 14,000 shp Pratt & Whitney FT4-A6
gas turbines are used for high speed (don't recall which P&W aircraft
engine this is related to). Some British naval vessels use COGOG
(Combination Gas turbine or Gas turbine- yeah, it sounds silly) plants
with Tynes used for low speed, and Olympus derivative engines for high
speed.

Bill Gunston's "Encyclopedia of Aero Engines" states that it was  the
Bristol Proteus pioneered both ship propulsion and fixed power
generation by a gas turbine engine.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029