HELP: looking for info on Airbus crash in Cheju, Korea

Date:         25 Mar 97 03:38:09
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Can anyone give details on a crash in Cheju Korea which occurred a few
>years ago: what airline, what exact date, any accident report or synopsis
>available on the web

A Korean Air Lines A300B4-622R (I think it was HL7296, sn 583) crashed
on the morning of August 9, 1994.  All 152 passengers and 8 crew lived;
the only injuries were minor ones to seven passengers and the co-pilot.

Apparently the plane was caught in a gust from Typhoon Doug just as it
was landing, skidded off the runway, and caught fire.  There was some
confusion in the cockpit as the Canadian captain, who was flying the
landing, decided to continue after the gust, but the Korean co-pilot
tried to take over and abort the landing.  That's about as much of it
as I remember, and there didn't seem to be much on the web.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com