Re: parallel runways on airports

Date:         25 Mar 97 03:38:09
From:         cp@panix.com (Charles Platt)

Kenneth W. Saunders (ksaunders@ll.mit.edu) wrote:
> Between 4300 ft and about 2000 ft, parallel approaches in the
> US are run as dependent approaches in IMC.  Dependent approaches use a single
> set of approach controllers that stagger the positions of the aircraft, so
> that if one aircraft deviated from the approach course, it would not come
> near the aircraft in the other arrival stream.

This puzzles me. Years ago, approaching Denver, our captain told us that
we would attempt to land precisely side-by-side with another aircraft on
the parallel runway. This struck me as odd; it sounded like a stunt, and I
had not bought my air ticket on the understanding that I would be a
passenger in some stunt maneuvers! Indeed we did make some unusually sharp
turns and corrections during the final approach. And then, through my
window, I saw the other aircraft touching down right alongside, on the
parallel runway, as predicted.

I suppose it's possible that the two parallel runways at Denver are more
than 4000 feet apart, but it sure didn't look that way.

Our pilot received a round of applause for his stunt, incidentally. But I
didn't participate.