Re: Question: Fuel Dumping

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:50
From:         michael.f.lechnar@boeing.boeing.com

In article <airliners.1997.19@ohare.Chicago.COM> gfmoff1@airmail.net (Gary Moffitt) writes:
>In article <airliners.1996.2982@ohare.Chicago.COM>, davidl@wr.com.au wrote:

>> I had a number of questions concerning fuel dumping:
>>
>> 1. What are the regulations on when and where fuel can be dumped ?
>
>I thumbed through my copy of the FAR's and didn't see anything on fuel
>dumping operationally speaking (there is of course a section in part 25 on
>fuel jettison system requirements) ...

The main reason that fuel jettison is used is to meet the FAR 25 requirements
for approach climb and landing climb gradients.  A side benefit to landing at
a lower weight is less stress on the airframe.

Mike Lechnar
Aircraft Performance Engineer
"If I was speaking for Boeing, I wouldn't be doing it here."