Re: parallel runways on airports

Date:         21 Mar 97 02:43:25
From:         don@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Don Stokes)

>Perhaps it's a special case, but parallel visual approaches are
>routinely flown on SFO's 28L and 28R, which are only 751 feet apart.
>There is no staggering -- I've been on flights that landed on 28R at
>exactly the same time as another flight landed on 28L, or vice versa.

Ditto.  Pilots even make a point of telling the pax about the aircraft
in close proximity, presumably to avoid claims of a near miss.  I suspect
that at SFO, the approaches have to be co-ordinated so that the aircraft
don't fly into each others' wake vortices, which means actually trying
to land in formation.

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386