Re: 42,000 feet

Date:         21 Mar 97 02:43:25
From:         swestin@ford.com (Stephen Westin )

In article <airliners.1997.756@ohare.Chicago.COM> Ken Madden <kgm0001@jove.acs.unt.edu> writes:

> > >What is done for emergency oxygen on the Concord?
> >
> > I can't speak about the oxygen aspects of it but I have been on commercial
> > flights at FL430. Also, some business jets routinely cruise at FL450 to
> > FL510. In the U.S., above FL410, for air carriers, one pilot must be on
> > oxygen (if one leaves the flight deck, the other must be on oxygen above
> > FL250). Ref: FAR 121.133 (c)(2) and (3).
>
> As far as the Concorde is concerned, I'm betting that the designers have
> not considered it within the realm of probability of experiencing a
> complete loss of cabin pressure at FL650.

I believe the (small) cabin window size on Concorde is limited by
considerations of rapid decompression in case of window failure at
cruise altitude; subsonic airliners can have larger windows because of
their lower cruise altitudes. So yes, loss of cabin pressure during
supersonic cruise was a consideration.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin