Re: 30-year-old technology

Date:         21 Mar 97 02:43:25
From:         D Snow <dougie@mama.indstate.edu>

On 20 Mar 1997, Karl Swartz wrote:

> Compare this to the PW4084 -- in the first few weeks of service with
> United, at least one entire engine was replaced.  Might have been two
> but I can't remember for sure.

I have a copy of the UA B777 Publication "Straight Scoop" from DENTK,
their training center, issue 96-2.

Article "How Are The New Engines?"

Q7: Have we had any in-flight shutdowns?

No in-flight shutdowns, but we had one diversion into Montreal (FRA-ORD)
due to gradual engine oil loss.  Both engines were running at shutdown
(significant).  The cause was a cracked oil pump housing due to vibration
and stress.  A nearby oil tube is also now frequently inspected.  Both
items are being redesigned, and closely watched, and are expected to be
retrofitted on-wing.  The identical oil-pump has flown millions of hours
on the B767-300 without problem.

-----
Douglas Snow                                dougie@mama.indstate.edu
http://mama.indstate.edu/users/dougie (Currently INOP)