Re: Air Safety (was Re: A3xx vs B747-600)

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:49
From:         falke@pweh.com ( 0 Falke_Charlie phone dist )

> I can't see why this one should not count unless the certification of
> the A330/CF6 was flawed.

  It's typical that lots of airplane software opens up during cert
with a new engine, but that wasn't my point.  Statistics ought to be
based on the types history when operated in a specific manner.  I
wouldn't want to count accidents when a type is operated as a
freighter either, for example, because the rules are different.
  Experimental flying is simply much riskier than scheduled airline
service.  The "experimental" sticker by the door means what it says
and is there for a reason.

Charlie Falke                 Pratt & Whitney
System Test Team Leader       C/O Boeing Comm AP grp.
"One test result is worth     Seattle, Wa. 98108
   one thousand expert opinions" -- Wernher Von Braun