Re: Curtains vs. plastic eyelids

Date:         20 Mar 97 02:38:32
From:         cp@panix.com (Charles Platt)

LesTroyens (lestroyens@aol.com) wrote:
> Was the 707 the first airliner to feature plastic eyelids instead of
> curtains?

I seem to remember the Vickers Viscount turboprop had curtains that you
could draw across its big oval windows (much larger windows than on any
jet airplane I've been in). It seemed to be a tradition carried over from
railroad cars. Today of course railroad styling (on the Japanese
shinkansen and here on Amtrak) has been adjusted to emulate airplane
cabins.

Another little thing I miss from my childhood as a plane passenger: the
free carry-on bag. I still have a navy blue BOAC carry-on, like a shopping
bag but with rigid sides and a zipper, and BOAC printed on it in white.