Re: Reg of MD-80 UHB demo a/c?

Date:         20 Mar 97 02:34:57
From:         "Brian A. Reynolds" <bareynol@dhinternet.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:

> >Looking for the reg carried by the MD-80 un-ducted fan demo aircraft
> >(MD-UHB DEMO on the fuse) flown in the late 80s.
>
> Registration N980DC, serial number 48000, line number 909, and the
> first MD-80.
>
> >What happened to this aircraft after the project was discontinued?
>
> I noticed it parked at Mojave in April 1990.  The unusually long #1
> pylon with no engine attached to it first caught my attention, then
> from an angle the distinctive livery eliminated any doubts one could
> still have had.  Apparently is was sold to International Airline
> Support Group on October 4, 1991, who re-registered it N560MD.  They
> stored it at Grayson County Airport in Sherman, Texas.  I thought I
> had heard that it had been broken up, though I'm not sure.

Within Douglas this aircraft was known as '909' and for many years was
the only flight test aircraft that DAC owned.  It was originally
intended for delivery to SAS (? not sure), but during flight test an FAA
flight test pilot landed a bit hard.  Main gear touchdown seemed OK,
however when the nose wheel hit one can see a ripple flow backwards then
the empennage breaks off.  <opps>  For some odd  reason the customer
didn't want that particular aircraft anymore, so DAC got a flight test
vehicle.  (The usual procedure to get flight test aircraft was either to
lease one back or, as in the case of the MD-11 program, sell them as
used to FedEx.)

Brian