Re: Use of Multiple Jetways

Date:         20 Mar 97 02:34:57
From:         triebelh@rastro.colorado.edu (Jeff Triebelhorn)

Karl Swartz wrote:

> >Don't believe anyone ever did, in fact for some reason, you almost never
> >board an aircraft through a left side door.
>
> You undoubtedly meant to say *right* side door!
>
> One of United's DC-10 gates at Stapleton (B16 or B17) used door 1R
> instead of 2L as at nearly every other UA DC-10 gate.  I arrived at
> that gate once -- everybody was awfully confused by exiting from the
> right side of the plane, not to mention all the way at the front
> instead of between F and Y where we boarded.  The crew said they
> figured an extra 10-15 minutes turnaround when using that gate
> because of the confusion.

... Yes it was B16 and it was a mess especially when there was a 747 on
B18. There was barely enough room on the ramp to walk around let alone
drive equipment.
I remember one day (towards the end of Stapleton) I was standing next to
the pushback tractor on 18 and one of the flight attendants on 16 opened
door 1L right after the jetway had been pulled.... The emergency slide
came smashing down about 15 feet from me and a fellow worker was almost
crushed because he was standing by the nose wheel on that aircraft.
anyhow, needless to say it was a pain in the butt to work DC-10's on B16
in everyway.  ..     Jeff Triebelhorn (triebelh@rastro.colorado.edu)