Re: How long IS long haul? (was: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X)

Date:         20 Mar 97 02:34:56
From:         Malcolm Weir <malc@mci2000.com>

matt weber wrote:
> Malcolm Weir <malc@deltanet.com> writes:
>> British Airways is operating an all-Boeing medium & long haul fleet.
>
> UNTRUE. BA still has a number of D10's in service. One of them
> flies out of Phoenix to LGW 4 nights a week (daily as of 30 March). PHX-LGW is
> over 5000 miles, so I think that qualifies as long haul.

Oops, I'd forgotten about the DC-10s (and, since I said "medium & long
haul", I better mention the other non-Boeing type: Concorde).

However, I claim exemption on the DC-10 mistake on the grounds that,
although Boeing didn't produce it, they're trying to marry the company
that did.  Which would make the DC-10 a Boeing step-product   8-)

But what *IS* long haul?  In a fairly recent discussion on another
group, a British Airways Flight Engineer (747 Classics) opined that the
range of the classic represented long-haul these days, up from my
original rule-of-thumb which used the range of the 707-320 as the
yardstick.  I realize that different operators have different standards
(Herb probably considers WN's OAK-BNA sector long-haul), but I'd be
interested if there was a consensus amongst the readership.

Malc.