Re: Gimli 767 nose gear

Date:         20 Mar 97 02:34:56
From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.747@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rdd@netcom.com (Robert
Dorsett) wrote:

>Perhaps the AOG team was able to raise the nose and lower the nose gear
>in preparation for repairing it, and that is the source of the photos
>you have access to.    The accommpanying text indicates the structure was
>remarkably intact.

Amazing how little damage can occur with a skiilful landing. In 1990, UA
had a 747-400 (almost brand new) make a partial gear up landing at LAX -
only the wing  (outer) main gear came down, the nose and body (inner)
mains stayed up. I saw a video of it - the captain held the nose off until
about 10 knots, finally lowering it oh so slowly. Damage was limited to
the nose gear doors (which did open) and some skin panels. The plane was
back in service 5 days later.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/