Re: Gimli 767 nose gear

Date:         18 Mar 97 03:14:55
From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)

I hesitate to resurrect this thread once again, but:

On January 13, in <airliners.1997.205@ohare.Chicago.COM>, C. Marin Faure
wrote:

>Well, I can't argue with the official report.  I am puzzled, however, why
>we have all these photos here at Boeing (I'm looking at one now) that
>clearly show the 767 sitting with its nose off the ground and resting on
>one of the race track barriers.

Thumbing through Stanley Stewart's _Emergency! Crisis in the Cockpit_
today, on page 133, what do I find, but a black and white picture of the
Gimli Glider.  Yes, its nose is sitting on the racetrack fence, but it's
completely smooshed it down, and the nose gear is completely retracted.

The slides are all still attached, so it looks like it was taken right
after the crash (next morning?).

Perhaps the AOG team was able to raise the nose and lower the nose gear
in preparation for repairing it, and that is the source of the photos
you have access to.    The accommpanying text indicates the structure was
remarkably intact.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av