Reg of MD-80 UHB demo a/c?

Date:         18 Mar 97 03:14:55
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Looking for the reg carried by the MD-80 un-ducted fan demo aircraft
>(MD-UHB DEMO on the fuse) flown in the late 80s.

Registration N980DC, serial number 48000, line number 909, and the
first MD-80.

>What happened to this aircraft after the project was discontinued?

I noticed it parked at Mojave in April 1990.  The unusually long #1
pylon with no engine attached to it first caught my attention, then
from an angle the distinctive livery eliminated any doubts one could
still have had.  Apparently is was sold to International Airline
Support Group on October 4, 1991, who re-registered it N560MD.  They
stored it at Grayson County Airport in Sherman, Texas.  I thought I
had heard that it had been broken up, though I'm not sure.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com