Re: Mojave Airliner Storage

Date:         18 Mar 97 03:14:54
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>

SILAGI wrote:

> I have friends coming from Austria during the first week in April that
> want to go to Mojave to photograph some of the airliners in storage
> there.  I have heard that a lot of them have been returned to active
> service during the past year.  Anybody have any info on what is
> currently being stored at MHV.  Also any info on the current status at
> Kingman AZ would also be appreciated.

	Mojave still has a lot of airliners.  I was last there in November and
there were 880s, a 990, L-1011s, DC-10s, MD-11s, DC-8s, DC-9s and 747s.
Many are parked quite a way from the boundary fence, so they will be
hard to photograph.  However, the 990 is shoved right up against the
fence on the South side of the field, and nearby is a L-1011.  Down the
ramp further is the GE test facility, where you will see a 707 and a 747
used for engine testing.  Nearby is also the McD test facility, which
usually has a MD-11.  When I was there, I went flying with a friend.
Landing, I noticed an ex-Hawaiian L-1011 being scrapped at midfield.

	If you happen to see a Fiesler Storch, Great Lakes Biplane or an
Aeronca C-3, they are all owned by the friend of mine - say "hi" for me.