Re: Use of Multiple Jetways

Date:         18 Mar 97 03:14:53
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Don't believe anyone ever did, in fact for some reason, you almost never
>board an aircraft through a left side door.

You undoubtedly meant to say *right* side door!

One of United's DC-10 gates at Stapleton (B16 or B17) used door 1R
instead of 2L as at nearly every other UA DC-10 gate.  I arrived at
that gate once -- everybody was awfully confused by exiting from the
right side of the plane, not to mention all the way at the front
instead of between F and Y where we boarded.  The crew said they
figured an extra 10-15 minutes turnaround when using that gate
because of the confusion.

In general, jets are designed for passenger loading via left (port)
side door(s), and servicing (galleys, baggage, and lavatories) via
the right (starboard) side of the aircraft.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com