Re: Use of Multiple Jetways

Date:         18 Mar 97 03:14:53
From:         matt@firstsol.com (matt weber)

pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu says...

>   Before the Boeing 747 was actually put into service, some artist's
>conceptions of the plane showed it parked between two terminal structures
>with three or more jetways connecting to it on each side.
>I think perhaps that passengers were to deplane on one side of the
>aircraft and passengers for the next flight were to board from the
>other. It seemed to be thought by some that new passenger handling
>arrangements would be needed for the efficient operation of such a
>large airliner.
>   Did anyone ever build such a thing? Would faster turn-arounds be
>of any benefit to operators of the 747 or the proposed Airbus A3XX or
>is the capacity of the runways the main bottleneck at airports?

Don't believe anyone ever did, in fact for some reason, you almost never
board an aircraft through a left side door.

Even if you did, it probably doesn't help much. The reality is you get
the cleaning and catering guys on board once the passengers are off, and
you try to keep the passengers out of the way of these guys, so you don't
really want them on board while you are boarding or exiting passengers if
you can help it.

I also suspect it may be a safety issue. These activities tend to block
exits, and blocked exits probably severly restrict the number of passengers
you can legally have aboard. I nknow that in the USA the FAA advised the
airlines about 10 years ago that ratio of staff (flight attendants) to
passengers had to maintained at all times, so if passengers don't leave
the aircraft at a stop over point, crew must always be aboard.

my opinions anyway.