Re: Boeing 767-400

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:48
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> Ignoring the first few 767s which were built with a flight engineer's
>> panel (which was subsequently ripped out before certification -- see
>> the archives for details)....

>I have flown on either an Ansett or an Australian Airlines 767 (I forget
>which - it was in 1987) that had both an engineer's panel (albeit
>truncated) *and* a living, breathing flight engineer.  What gives?

Ansett specially ordered their 767-200s with a flight engineer station.
This was a different situation than the first 30 767s, which had the FE
station because it wasn't clear they'd be able to certify it with only
two pilots.  The FAA certified the 767 with only two pilots and the early
planes built with the extra position were converted to the now-standard
configuration prior to delivery.

I'm not sure if the Ansett version was the same as the pre-certification
version or not.

An article in this newsgroup in September, 1995, said Ansett was converting
its 767s to the standard flight deck, according to Flight International.
See http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archive-search.html and search for
"767 and engineer" to see the previous threads on this subject.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com