Re: 42,000 feet

Date:         18 Mar 97 03:14:50
From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.686@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Andrew Goldfinger
<Andy.Goldfinger@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

>     I recently flew at 41,000 feet in a commercial airliner (actually FL
>410, I assume).  According to a friend, at around 42,000 feet free
>flowing oxygen is no longer adequate for maintenance of life, and
>pressure breathing is required.  Therefore, the emergency oxygen system
>(as an SWA flight attendent put it: "these are not party hats") on
>commercial aircraft would not be sufficient.  Does this limit the
>practical ceiling of commercial flights?  What is done for emergency
>oxygen on the Concord?

I can't speak about the oxygen aspects of it but I have been on commercial
flights at FL430. Also, some business jets routinely cruise at FL450 to
FL510. In the U.S., above FL410, for air carriers, one pilot must be on
oxygen (if one leaves the flight deck, the other must be on oxygen above
FL250). Ref: FAR 121.133 (c)(2) and (3).

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/