Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X?

Date:         09 Mar 97 22:55:39
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>At first, I thought Emirates would have the first Trent-powered IGW.
>With Malaysia receiving its first B777 next month, I'm not sure if
>Emirates will be the first one.  I do believe Emirates' first B777
>is currently involved in the certification of the Trent-powered IGW.

These things work out in funny ways sometimes.  Southwest was first
to order the 737-300, and first to put it in service, but four USAir
737-300s were built and flying before Southwest's first.  The early
planes usually require a lot of rework before delivery, and often
aren't even done with their flight test roles before the first of
their siblings enters service.

>Also, I find it interesting that Malaysia was able to get earlier
>delivery positions than Singapore which ordered the B777 almost two
>months before Malaysia did.  I believe Singapore is getting its first
>B777 in early May.

Singapore may not have wanted the planes any earlier, or the Malaysia
positions could have been the result of cancelled orders or options
that were not taken up.  That's how American got such early delivery
of MD-11s, despite coming to the game late.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com