Re: Splashproof?

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:41
From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>

At 03:18 PM 3/2/97, you wrote:
>In <airliners.1997.546@ohare.Chicago.COM> jokim@athena.mit.edu (John H
>Kim) writes:
>>
>>This came up in a discussion I was having with a friend.  How
>>resistant are the electronics in a typical airliner cockpit to
>>spilled drinks?  What sorts of procedural and deesign safeguards
>>are there?
>
>It's always been a problem.  Coca Cola is nasty.  To dissolve it, you
>have to apply more Coca Cola.  Waterproofing of the cockpit items from
>liquid spills should be, or is a requirement.  Little things, like
>placing cupholders to the outside, rather than near the center
>pedestal, have helped.  In the 737, spilled drinks can run downstairs
>onto the weather radar transceiver and other stuff, so a drip shield is
>placed above them.

Actually, we had a lot of problems with spilled beverages in the cockpit
which seeped down into the mother of all black boxes...the ground / air
sensor card seemed to love to drink this stuff.  The floor has since been
well sealed and I think the black box was also sealed to avoid future
problems in this area.

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com