Re: YR-BRC of Tarom

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:40
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Recently I made a picture of a TAROM plane, YR-BRC. I think it
>was a BAC 1-11 ...
>Is this a BAC 1-11 ?

Yes and no.  It's a RomBac One-Eleven 561RC.  RomBac bought the rights
to the BAC 111 from BAe and built nine of them in Romania between 1982
and 1989, of which this is one.  I'm not sure what, if anything, is
changed from late BAe-built 111s.  (TAROM also has some British-built
111s; all of the RomBac 111s were initially delivered to TAROM though
all have been leased out at one time or another.)

One US carrier had agreed to acquire some of these planes, though I
think the deal subsequently fell through.  Was it Kiwi?

>When was it build ?

It first flew April 26, 1984, and was delivered to TAROM in August
if the same year.

>Which engines are mounted ?

Rolls-Royce Spey 512-14DW, same as on TAROM's BAC 111s.

>Where did TAROM get this plane from ?

The factory.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com