Re: Old DC-10 attitude problem...

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:40
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.528@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Craig Welch
<craig@pacific.net.sg> writes
>Eric Young <brock@dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In the original DC-10's, was there something wrong with their flying
>>attitude?  I heard the backs had to be fitted as piano bars as
>>passengers in the last few rows became sick on flights.  Thank you.

Dont know about the 10 but the 747 flies a little nose high as it was
designed for 10c/gal fuel and a .87 mach cruise.  When reality intruded
and fuel prices went up in the 70's, flying a bit slower at about .83
saved signifigant fuel but gave a slight nose up attitude.  This annoyed
the boys and girls who had to push heavy duty free bars uphill.

The recently canx. 500/600 series would have had a slower wing which would
have removed this problem.

--
john r.