Re: Old DC-10 attitude problem...

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:39
From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)

In <airliners.1997.529@ohare.Chicago.COM> faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin
Faure) writes:

>In article <airliners.1997.474@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rparpatt@uniserve.com
>(Thundercraft) wrote:
>
>> In article <airliners.1997.429@ohare.Chicago.COM>, brock@dircon.co.uk says...
>> >
>> >In the original DC-10's, was there something wrong with their flying
>> >attitude?  I heard the backs had to be fitted as piano bars as
>> >passengers in the last few rows became sick on flights.  Thank you.

In 16 years of dealing with DAC, I never heard of that.  Sure you
aren't confusing this with the downstairs pub in the PSA L-1011?

>DC-10s fly with a pronounced nose-up attitude that I have been told is
>the result of a miscalculation.  It was corrected somewhat in the
>MD-11, although to me the MD-11 still flies uphill.

I believe every airliner flies uphill a few degrees.  It was very
noticeable on the TW L-10ll I rode last week.  I know for a fact that
the C-130 vertical gyros are shimmed about 3 degrees so that the
horizon appears level at cruise.

The DC-10 exceeded its estimates at high mach speeds, apparently due to
a slight wing incidence miscalculation.
rd