Re: Ethiopian 767 crash

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:47
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>> I'm not really sure why he wasn't using any flaps.  I can cleary see the
>> RAT deployed in the video,
>
>Can you tell me where I can see the RAT on the video ?  I have looked
>for it but couldn't find it.

In the qt video from CNN, I cannot see it conclusively, but when I watched
someone's copy of the TV broadcast of the same video, I could see it
clearly.  You can see the door that is normally faired with the fuselage
immediately behind the trailing edge of the right wing where it mates with
the fuselage.  It is a white square amongst the darker underside of the
fuse.

>>From watching the video, it seems that the Plane actually landed pretty
>smoothy and intact, but because of increased drag on the left side
>(which entered before) and no drag from right wing and engine still in
>the air, the fuselage began to spin/turn and only when it got to about
>90 degrees against direction did the breakup supposedly occured.
>
>The amateur video shot from the beach does not show any of the plane's
>fuselage breaking up. You see some debris flying as the left engine
>enters the water, and some debris as the right wing becomes vertical.
>But the tail section seems attached to the fuselage all the way to that
>moment where everything becomes obscured by water spray.

It does not show physically seperate parts of the fuselage, but you can
see the rudder and stabiliser move violently out of proportion with the
right wing just before the tail is obscured by water.  This is either the
tail breaking away, or the central wing box section breaking away, as can
be seen in the static shots of the wing upside down (with the rate sitting
up in the breeze).

>Finally, does anyone know if the right engine stayed attached to the
>right wing throughout the landing, or did it finally fall off ?

Ha!  Which bit of the right wing :-)

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- If it's not Boeing, then I'm not going!