Re: Props vs Fuselage Windows

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:36
From:         ho%pasta.dnet.dec.com@mrnews.mro.dec.com ()

In article <airliners.1997.600@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Bill Chivers
<Bill@chivcons.demon.co.uk> writes:
>In article <airliners.1997.583@ohare.Chicago.COM>, s_odle@earthlink.net
writes
>>>I've noticed that all of the old prop airliners (from the DC-4 through
>>>at least the Electra) have no passenger windows exactly even with the
>>>geometrical plane of the props.

>Probably more to do with shedding ice. Our aeroplanes all have dents in
>line with the blade disc, in spite of the fact that the skin is
>thickened at that point.

It still happens today.

One such incident occurred on May 23, 1990, where ice shedding took out the
second row window on a Fairchild Metro.  It resulted in an AD prohibiting use
of the second row until the window could be covered.

NTSB Identification SEA90IA085.
Operator: Horizon Airlines, Olympia, WA.

Sam Ho