Re: Props vs Fuselage Windows

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:36
From:         dave lawson <dave.lawson@alliedsignal.com>

Bill Chivers wrote:

> In article <airliners.1997.583@ohare.Chicago.COM>, s_odle@earthlink.net
> writes
> >On 01 Mar 97 02:44:58 , Tom Gibson <tgibson@sunstroke.sdsu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>I've noticed that all of the old prop airliners (from the DC-4 through
> >>at least the Electra) have no passenger windows exactly even with the
> >>geometrical plane of the props.  Was this a CAA requirement for
> >>certification?  I assume it was to avoid passenger injury if a prop let
> >>go; is this correct?
> >
> >Whether of not the window is there would make no difference if a blade
> >departed.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> Probably more to do with shedding ice. Our aeroplanes all have dents in
> line with the blade disc, in spite of the fact that the skin is
> thickened at that point.

The deHavilland Dash 8 turboprop has a composite (kevlar and honeycomb
if I recall correctly) protection layer for ice shedding.  There are
still windows roughly in line with the blade, but they are so thick now
I don't think they have a great problem.  Ice impacts sure do wake up a
dozing passenger!

Dave