Re: Is the 747-100 really "too" old ?

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:35
From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <"[nospam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

Ken wrote:
> As a pilot for a major airline
> flying the 747 I can tell you there is absolute NO truth in that
> statement whatsoever.

Well, I am in no way disputing the safety of 747-100s. However, since
lawyers had been involved in that public statement by the plaintif and
stated that TWA was operating planes after they should have been retired
(or whatever exact wording had been used) I was thinking that they had
found some sort of loophole that allowed them to make such a statement.

The media reported this without questioning the validiy of such
argument. If it were true, then the media should have really picked up
on the fact that the FAA had allowed unsafe old planes to fly. If it
were not true, then the media should not have reported that part of the
newstory with the plaintif saying that TWA was operating planes that
were past their "deadline".

The fact that TWA has retired its 747-100s from what I heard does not
help the argument that it is a perfectly fine plane. (hey, this
retirement may have been purely economic, but in the context of TWA800,
the public cannot help but put safety connotations into it as well).