Re: Dumb Douglas: nee - DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         09 Mar 97 12:39:34
From:         Malcolm Weir <malc@deltanet.com>

Daniel Mecco wrote:

> The 707 was a much better aircraft, more versatile, and the U.S.
> military contracts with Boeing IE: KC/RC/EC/135 --- AWACS & COBRA BALL
> kept Boeing going back to the drawing board for many years to improve a
> great product .Still today with the KC-135 the upgrade with the CFM-56,
> engine the 707 airframe is still being improved and updated with the
> latest technology

Except that KC-135s are 717s, not 707s.

Incidentally, it looks like the E8 JSTARS aircraft will mark the last
"new" application for direct Dash-80 devivatives.

On a barely related note, I was looking through my old copy of Jane's
last night, and was seriously amused to see that the 777 "is basically a
767 with a plug inserted forward of the wing and an additional engine
mounted over the rear fuselage".

[ I don't have the date of this issue handy, but the 767 hadn't yet
flown when the above was written. ]

Malc.