Re: Ethiopian 767 crash

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:47
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>Only one hitch here- without fuel, the crew would have been reduced to
>basic 3-axis control (that's all the ram air turbine can do). The flaps
>and slats could not be deployed. As for being level, that's not so easy
>either- I recalled reading in Freefall (the book about the Gimli Glider)
>that the controls are much harder to use when powered by the RAT than
>under full power. Furthermore, some reports say that the pilots were
>trying to fight off the hijackers as they were ditching the plane. Still
>think they could have done a better job??

There is in fact (at least on QF planes anyway) hydraulic flap movement -
but at a much reduced rate) with the RAT, but from the video it is obvious
no t/e flap was used, I can't see the front of the wing clearly enough to
say anything about the leading edges.

As for how the pilot rates, I think he did a stirling job in very
difficult circumstances.  Remember that saying, "any landing you can walk
away from is a good landing."

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- If it's not Boeing, then I'm not going!