Re: Boeing cancels 747-500X/600X?

Date:         03 Mar 97 01:30:12
From:         roger@concord-world-travel.co.uk (Roger Chung-Wee)

On 01 Mar 97 02:44:59 , tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell) wrote:

>I guess what I am saying is that I don't buy the "reducing congestion"
>argument for the next generation super-jumbo.  If there were intense
>congestion problems we would be seeing pressure to replace the smaller
>planes with bigger ones... but the current trend in most markets is
>the opposite.  We could reduce the flight cycles in most markets by
>100% even with currently avail. planes, but we are not doing it.

What the overall picture is of bigger or smaller aircraft being used
to replace existing ones I can't say without spending a lot of time
researching it, but here is certainly some replacement of smaller
aircraft by bigger ones.  For instance, BA has said that by about 2005
(I can't recall the exact year), the smallest jet aircraft in its
fleet is expected to be the size of a 757.  And if you look at the
trans-Atlantic market, you can see United being quite busy in
replacing 767s by 777s.
--
Roger Chung-Wee
Member, UK Chapter of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation.