Re: 737 question

Date:         02 Mar 97 15:18:06
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.544@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rbrown@stevens-tech.edu
(Richard Brown) wrote:

> I am reading DEBT OF HONOR by Tom Clancy and was wondering about something.
> At the start of chapter 39, it explains how Japanese consulates in Seattle,
> San Fran, New York, and Honolulu were vacated and the Japanese were flown to
> Vancouver.  The people from Honolulu boarded a United 737 for a five hour trip
> to BC.  How plausible would it be for the 737 to make this hop?

Some models of the 737 are approved for ETOPS, but I don't believe any are
approved for an ETOPS flight of this duration.  Operators are using 757s
from the west coast to Hawaii, but not 737s.  Plus I think a flight from
HNL to Vancouver would be longer than five hours- that's about what it
takes to reach San Francisco.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane