Re: Props vs Fuselage Windows

Date:         02 Mar 97 15:18:06
From:         don@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Don Stokes)

Tom Gibson  <tgibson@sunstroke.sdsu.edu> wrote:
>I've noticed that all of the old prop airliners (from the DC-4 through
>at least the Electra) have no passenger windows exactly even with the
>geometrical plane of the props.  Was this a CAA requirement for
>certification?  I assume it was to avoid passenger injury if a prop let
>go; is this correct?  Is it still a requirement, or is there a

It's still done on many prop aircraft.  I assume it's to avoid having
to replace the window frequently due to erosion from debris chucked up
by the props during ground operations.  The material used for aircraft
windows does scratch easily.

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386